What do I mean when I say “I love you?”
What that means when I say it depends on when in the relationship I say it. If it’s early it can’t mean as much as later.
Does it need a disclaimer or can I assume you understand that its meaning is based on what’s realistic after we’ve known each other for this long.
It at least means I love you in the moment because
- You open me to the joys of love
- You stir/activate my impulse to love.
- I want to have more physical, virtual and imaginative contact with you in the near term
- My feelings tell me this relationship will be satisfying for a while longer.
It can, but doesn’t necessarily, also mean
- I think about you when we’re not together
- I’m looking farther into the future
- I’d like to spend more time with you
- I’m there for you with very little notice
- You can ask something of me.
And, of course, you can always ask me what I mean.